Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

My daughters had a huge blowout here on Christmas night after

My daughters had a huge blowout here on Christmas night after we had a really lovely morning. The oldest daughter is demanding that my husband and I go to marriage counseling and told us in a furry that she would not talk to us for a week. She convinced the younger one to leave with her and take this stand with her as well.
The oldest has set up a conference call on Sunday to see what kind of progress we have made.
My husband is recuperating from a colon cancer operation and is currently going through chemo and feels terrible. His company is also going through a major downturn and he may end up going under.
Under these circumstances....how would you respond to the oldest's demands with regard to this conference call?

Although your daughter may be correct in theory, she has no right to demand that her parents go for marital therapy. During this particular moment one would expect more understanding and empathy. I would tell my daughter that we welcome her back, but the issue of marriage counseling is off the table until or unless dad rings it up. I can just imagine that you have no support and have the roughest job of all. You might ask your daughters to provide you with some support during this extremely rough time.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Thank you for your very generous bonus and if there is anything further please just request.

Ralph LMHC