Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

Hi i was diagnosed with ocd and deppression in may i am 20

Customer Question

Hi i was diagnosed with ocd and deppression in may i am 20 weeks pregnant now and my symptoms have become worse! i feel like i have a hard time focussing and i cannot control my unwanted thoughts. I dont want to take any medication that will harm my child but i dont want to be stressed either?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Hello Hellomommy,
Thank you for using JustAnswer! I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. This is a real struggle for a lot of pregnant women. I would suggest talking with your OBGYN or primary care Dr. as soon as possible. There are medications that have been ruled relatively safe during pregnancy. With any medication there are always risks but you need to be mentally healthy during this time and in the future. If you really do not want to consult your Dr. about medications, I would suggest a depression support group or seeking out a therapist to discuss your depressed mood. Ideally, talking to your Dr. and finding a medication to try and seeking a counselor would be the most effective combination.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

Take care,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have pure ocd which is mostly consist of unwanted sexual thoughts i am in a relationship with the father of my kids but he has a very hard time understanding my anxiety when we are around his friends i try to explain but the more i try the less sense it makes. i tried cognitive therapy for about a week but it make me very uncomfortable and my husband as well. is there anything else that would help. my relationship is falling apart due to my obbsessive thoughts!
Hi again,
Thanks for clarifying about the OCD and the sexual thoughts. I think you were on the right track with the cognitive therapist. This type of therapy is extremely uncomfortable because the obsessions and compulstions are there to reduce anxiety. The cognitive therapist will typically use various forms of exposure therapy which can be very hard to endure at times. I would suggest if the relationship is starting to fall apart, try the therapy again. If you don't want to do that you may want to try the therapy again, you may want to try a self help workbook. This workbook would be helpful. Also, this website can give you more information about controlling these thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you be a little specific on some medication recommendations? thank you i will try the therapy again
Hi again,
There are SSRI medications and Tricyclics that are antidepressants. SSRI are the newer medications and have been less tested on pregnant women. Tofranil and Pamelor are medications that fall into the Tricyclic category and have been tested on pregnant women. These seem to be the safest for treating depression. Your dr. should be able to recommend the safest meds.

I hope this answer helps as well.
Take care,