Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

I have been pretty down over the holidays and was encouraged

I have been pretty down over the holidays and was encouraged just now by reading about other people's psychological concerns. I think that I am an overly-sensitive person. I can discern things quicker than many and have a "feel" for situations quite quickly as well. This seems to hold me back though, and I feel a bit as if I am living in fear.

How can I be who I am, but shut it off every once in a while to just enjoy the day?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Hi, The key here is to work on self acceptance and learn to be who you are, without worrying about it. Being empathic, as you describe, allows you to feel what others may actually be feeling, and this is a gift that few have. This trait should be nurtured, and coveted. It makes you a really great friend to others, even if you are unaware of that. People who are allowed to see this piece of you are truly blessed.

I hope you will seek assistance or work on this yourself. We all have good, bad and ugly in us, but some of us are confused about which is which. Learning to accept yourself allows you to be open with others, and allows them to be open with you as well.

It sounds as if you have many positive qualities to share. Be good to yourself. Gina

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Gina,
Thank-you for your time.

How would you suggest I work on this?
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I think you shoudl pursue this with a counselor you feel comfortable with. If that is not an option, there are many good self awareness and self esteem books on the market. You must be consistent in your efforts, regardless of what option you choose. It is really about retraining your perspective and learning to accept life and yourself. This is a process, not an overnight magic solution. You may not see a lot of change at the beginning but keep working.

If your mood is very low, you can contact your general practitioner for an anti depressant. Sometimes this helps just to get you motivated to do something.

I wish you the best. Gina