Kelley
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
20327072

Hello, I have depression and my psychiatrist put me onto Mitazarpine

Hello, I have depression and my psychiatrist put me onto Mitazarpine at first but I only got a slight lift in mood which did not improve. He then changed it to Lofepramine 140 mg. both to be taken at night. I've now been on this for 6 weeks and there is no change whatsoever. Side effects of very dry mouth and crying fits from time to time. My psychiatrist is now on vacation and I'm wondering if I should start to come off Lofepremine doing it very slowly. I'm planning to do a CBT course early in the new year. I am a 65 year old woman who has had depression 3 times over 40 years and always have had no problem with tablets from the SSRI range. They usually work after about 10 days to 2 weeks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

I would suggest that you not come off of anything until you are able to talk to your doctor. Many doctors are still able to be reached while on vacation by their office staff or on their cell phones if you have his. Your symptoms are enough that you should not just wait until he gets back. If there is no way to contact him then I would call his staff and see who else you can see in the meantime. If you do decide that you do not want to take it then yes wean off of it very slowly and do not just stop taking it abruntly which you already know. But I would really suggest informing your psychiatirst who knows you and follows with you before doing so.

CBT therapy should prove to be beneficial and I am glad to hear that you are to start that soon.

Please let me know if I can asssit anymore!