Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

i have just reached 40 and have always been overweight, peaking

Customer Question

i have just reached 40 and have always been overweight, peaking at 17 stone, i have 2 children 16 and 12 and im in a loving relationship but i have an unhealthy relationship with food, i use it as a crutch to get me through stressful times in my life. mypartner has suggested i seek medical advise as i have finally admitted i believe i have an eating disorder, i have in the past used laxatives and i have gone through periods of making myself sick, i have tried every diet available and even resorted to diet pills, pills prescibed by my gp which i took for three months and lost quite a bit of weight but then i became unable to maintain a weight loss and the doctor told me i couldnt have anymore. From a young child my mum always had me on diets because i was overweight for my age and my bad relationship with food stems from there, i desperately need some help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tracy,
Admitting that you have an eating disorder is a very difficut thing to do - good for you that you've come to see what the nature of your problem really is. Compulsive Overeating is an addictive process, and often comes with quite a bit of shame which makes it that much harder to face. The good news is that you've done the hardest part- admitted it to yourself and asked for help.

There is also good news in that you're not alone, and there is a huge network of support out there for you both online and in local Overeaters Anonymous groups (OA). With others that have been in your place, you can find out what blocks you from normal eating and change your behaviors. You'll eventually face the emotions that food has hidden and become free of that burden. The health benefits alone will astonish you. Recovery from overeating isn't a diet - it isn't like Weight Watchers. You won't be given a food plan - it will be completely up to you how you control food in your life, so it won't be someone or something outside of yourself telling you what to do, and when they stop; you stop (like the diet pills).

There are also treatment centers that your GP can refer you to if they deem you to be unable to begin the process at home.

I'm going to give you a couple links for you to follow up with and begin your new path today. My best to you on your new journey - you're going to find that it's worth the work.

OA
INTheRooms
Recovery Group

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna