Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Why is a person a prankster

Why is a person a prankster?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
repressed hostility
bad taste
social awkwardness
doesn't know how to express self directly
let me know if you ave specific questio/details I can respond to.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear Dr. Ed Wilfong;
I do have to explain further on the case.

This person was abused and beaten by his mother for any wrong doing as a child of tender age, totally neglected of motherly love; was never told that she loved him, which she did not as she told him at age eight "she wished he would be dead". She aspired for herself to become a star in the entertainment business, became pregnant with him before marriage, and had to marry the man, which may have been his father or not. She obviously resented the child to interrupt her life's plans. I am speaking of the years 1909 when he was born. The child became a famous person, yet he always made pranks on people and was mischievous. He was abundant in private schools with no or little contact to the parents. He was expelled from all the schools do to the pranks he played. He was a very lonely child mostly left to his own devices. My question is why was he such a prankster and mischief-maker?

It really soundslike this child experienced serious trauma and hurt. It is not typically socially acceptable to directly experess anger, hurt and resentment. Often, a sarcastic sense of humor and pranks are a more "socially acceptable" way of expressing all this pain. In short, the hurt and anger had to be transformed into someting socially acceptable. Pranks were a "safer" way to express all this pain and anger.