cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health

How can I cure myself of hurting myself and pulling out my

How can I cure myself of hurting myself and pulling out my eyelashes all the time?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomerand thanks for using JustAnswer.com

I am using this as an information request.

did your counselor or psychiatrist explain why you do these things?

or prescribe medicine?

thanks so much

Cathy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am taking a very small dose of celexa and respiridol. She has not told me what she thinks causes it. I have CRF and very low self-esteem
Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure what crf refers toCustomerbut I do approve of the meds you were prescribed. I dont know about your self esteem but you do have a very treatable illness with respect to both pulling of eyelash hair and self mutilation.

I dont want you to post something you are embarrassed about so I did not ask about harming yourself but if you could explain the crf I would be very appreciative.

Thanks for your patience. Cathy

Edited by cathy on 1/1/2010 at 3:43 AM EST
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience: MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi. I have had Chronic Renal Failure The Chronic Renale Failure means I can not take alot of mental drugs or any of certain mental drugs. Please tellme what you think.
Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

How come you have renal failureCustomer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have Glumario-nuefritis
Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

okayCustomerand you also have a compulsive disorder that is not related to your kidney disorder, can you talk to me just a little bit more? and just let me know what you are most afraid of and how I can best help you?

I see that you are afraid and I am trying here, but I need more help, okay?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HI again, I think I mostly do it because I have given up on looking Okay. I feel people are going to view me the same no matter what I do. I do it so I won't have to try. It is like punishing myself. I have tried very hard to do things in my life to change but it doesn't work. I am afraid to change and when I do try to change my life, I fail because of my circumstances, ignorance, lazyness or fear. I was thinking, I could try wearing mittens at night to stop myself, but I just take them off. I need to believe in myself.
Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomerand thanks for sharing such difficult information. Okay, heres the thing, you have a very treatable condition that has seen much success with many medications and a few types of therapy.

I know you have tried very hard, but I also know that what you are describing is not something that you can battle alone. You need compassion and care and support. You need to find a therapist who will not judge you and who will treat you very well and help you to move a place where you dont hurt yourself.

You seeCustomer you need to find someone who you dont think is going to view you poorly whom you can trust and share with no matter how tough.

I think you not ignorant, lazy or intolerant. I think you just have not shopped around a bit to find the right counselor to help you and that is so intimidating that I cant blame you that.

You have a very treatable and successfully treatable set of disorders. What you do not have is an effective counselor who is helpiing you to reconcile this. You need someone to believe in you.

I have treated many people who like you tear out their eyelashes and try to self harm. This is not your fault and you need someone to help you to see that. You are not bad and have done nothing wrongCustomer but you do need some mental health treatment to get past these behaviors.

Your behaviors are well documented in the psychiatric literature and well treated.

I am sorry you are in so much pain.

I strongly recommend that you find a therapist who will not judge you and will help you to resolve these problems. I know that is not easy and you have been disappointed before, but you just print out our conversation here and bring it to the new therapist you are seeking and I think that will help a great deal.

I wish you all the very best on this and again am so sorry therapy has let you down before. Please do give it another chance and do drop a line here and let us know how it worked out for you.

Good Luck

Cathy

cathy, Mental Health Professional