Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

This question is to Ed Wilfong Hello again and happy new

This question is to Ed Wilfong

Hello again and happy new year.

I am still on 150 mg Wellbutrin with 150 mg efexor. Have been having some sideeffects but not really any benefits yet. I am still as tired as before, maybe even more tired. When can I expect the wellbutrin to start working? I have been using it 7 days now.
Is it safe to take 300 mg wellbutrin with 150 mg efexor or will that increase te seizure risk a lot?

Is it safe doing hard exercise when on wellbutrin or is it dangerous because of seizure risk? I like exercising. Really help with my anxiety
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 7 years ago.
Exercise is very good treatment for anxiety and depression. It releases endorphins, which make you naturally feel good. Do all you want. The chemistry, is different and would have no effect on seizure threshold.
I believe I mentioned before that Wellbutrin was once tested on sever anorexic patients. A few had seizures. Their chemistry is already messed up. Unfortunately, bad news makes good press and the FDA required warnings.
I am assuming you have decent nuitrinion and no history of seizures and are not anorexic.
So like I said, you are at low risk If the risk in the unmedicated population is 1/10,000you might be 1/9,999.
I have never seen or heard of a wellbutrin seizure outside of anorexia.
Relax and exercise for me. I need it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think you forgot this questioon:

:)
You are right, didnt see that part. You should feel some positive result about 2 weeks (maybe 10 days) after you are at maximum dose (for you) of Wellbutrin. So likely 10 days at best after you start 300. If no help then, the effexor may be sedating too much and we can discuss other common options.