Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

My mom is visiting from out of town. Shes had a panic attack/anxiety

My mom is visiting from out of town. She's had a panic attack/anxiety attack/ psychotic break and has been to the ER twice in the past 2 days. They can't do anything more than tell her it's a panic attack and she needs to see her regular dr. when she gets home. But, home is anXXXXXand she is a mess. What resources are available other than the ER (on a holiday no less)?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Hi, They should be able to prescibe something for her to assist with the anxiety/panic. If they have or will not, she may want to call her regular physician to call in a prescription for her until she gets home.

I am assuming this is not a new symptom and her physician should know her well enough to know what to prescribe. Most physicians have ansering services and on call practitioners to assist with this.

Bear in mind, that a panic attack and anxiety, if that is all it is, will subside after a few minutes if untreated, and is not life threatening. If she has psychosis as well, this may need to be addressed again through the ED with an insistance on admission to the psychiatric unit until stable. Hopw this helsp. Gina

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, Gina- She insists that it is all a side-effect of her fibromyalgia and not a mental health issue. Her regular doctor is in Mexico for the holiday. The answering service is no help. My dad is not sure how to get her home. She has a bunch of meds for her major depression and fibromyalgia. We don't understand her meds. She says she does, but I am not trust ing her judgment since she seems to be in denial about her mental health needs.
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Your local ED may be able to assist you in identifying how she should be taking her medications. Some will answer this over the phone, but with others you may have to take her in along with the medications. If she gets worse, take her back there, and insist on an admission. Most hospitals have counselors or psychiatrists on call 24 hours. Since, she believes it is a side effect of the fibromyalgia, hopefully she has handled this in the past and knows what to do now.

Hope this helps. Gina