Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

I have been in a poor marriage for 35yrs had 5 children. He

I have been in a poor marriage for 35yrs had 5 children. He has never been loving towards me or my 1st child who died 11 yrs ago from drugs. I have left him several times over the yrs, the last being 3yrs ago. I am in a commision house (Government) & have been sharing with my other son (B) & being mother to his two sons (their mother left them with me 10yrs ago). B, is now moving out into his new house with boys. I cannot afford this rent on my own so gave invatation for husband to move back in. I am already having sick feelings & regrate & i dont know if i should ignore the fears or what. He is a ver difficult man to talk to. What do you suggest?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Hi, It is very difficult to live with someone who is emotionally neglectful or abusive, regardless of the money. I know that is the reason many people stay with someone, but it can cause so much depression and anxiety. If you are planning to let him share expenses only for financial reasons, you can work to learn to set boundaries with him. or possibly consider seeking out another roomie. You may also be able to qualify for a more reduced rent since the Governmemt housing is usually based on your income.

Look at some other options before finalizing this deal, since you are already experiencing anxiety, and apprehension. Let me know if you have further questions. Thanks, Gina