Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

I am about 3 months out of a relationship and really missing

I am about 3 months out of a relationship and really missing my ex. I have been dating around to try and avoid the pain of missing him. I'm not seeing anyone seriously and I'm not sleeping with anyone at the same time as another. I have a friend who is open to a no strings attached sexual relationship. It sounds appealing. I'm attracted to him, we have good chemistry, and we have good conversation. Do you think this is healthy or will set me back even more?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Hi, A relationship based on sexual activity may have good and bad traits. It can provide the intimate feelings associated with a relationship, although they are not permanent. It can also provide you with physically gratifying feelings.

On the flip side, it is sometimes more difficult for some women to have intimate relationships without emotional ties. What usually ends up is one of the partners involved develops more feelings than the other. Sex, by nature, has itws own intimate criteria, and most people have a set of rules along with that, such as foreplay, after play, intimate conversations, etc. These needs may not be fulfilled with a sex only relationship One of the other problems you may encouter, is a lack of interest in dating or pursuing a regular relationship. Sometimes these sex only relationships take you out of life and dating for a long period of time, even if you say there is not a committment.

So, my advice would be to weigh the reasons you may be considering this relationship and if they are truly just for satisfaction physically, ok. But if you are substituting sex for intimacy, you may want to rethink this plan, give yourself some time to heal from your last relationship, and look for a partner who can provide you what you are seeking in a full relationship. Let me know if you have other questions. Gina