Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

I am a recovering alcoholic and believe myself to have other

I am a recovering alcoholic and believe myself to have other psychological disorders as well. I am afraid to go to get a psyche evaluation because I am afraid of the negative aspects of prescription medication. I take supplements which have a minor effect. Am I short changing my mental health by living with depression and loss of drive and focus?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Only you can make that decision. But, many recovering people take anti depressants or other psychiatric medications. That could be because many started using or drinking to correct a problem with the chemical imbalance, thus creating more chemical imbalance and dependency, and the continued cycle. You drink to change the way you feel. If you aren't drinking, your feelings are much more bare, and may be more difficult to handle, at least at the beginning. Yes, the 12 steps are a wonderful tool, and can help in a wonderful way, but these are also one of many tools available to help you in your recovery. The 12 steps are a process of learning how to live and manage your life (I belong to a 12 step group myself). There are other ways you can help yourself. A good sponsor will tell you, if you aren't taking care of these psychiatric issues appropriately, they may lead you back to the drink, and cause a relaps anyway.

I hope you will at least consider all the tools available. You couldn't change a tire, even if you were missing one tool, like the lug wrench. Try to think of it in that way. And it doesn't necessarily mean you will have to take medications for ever. This can be short term as well, just to "jump start" your brain a little.

I hope you are giving yourself credit for all the work you are doing and willing to do. That is the most important thing in recovery, as I'm sure you know. I know some days can be difficult, but never as difficult as they were when drinking. Continue with the tools you are using. Please let me know if you have further questions.I hope this has helped. Gina