cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
25773729

klonopin is not covered in medicare plan D. are there other

Customer Question

klonopin is not covered in medicare plan D. are there other free standing drug plans other than medicare that would cover it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 4 years ago.

No benzodiapines are covered under medicare. There are other drugs that are used for anxiety such as Vistaril, Atarax, or Buspar. The first two are antihistamines and the last is in my opinion ineffective. The only option is to use antidepressants with antianxiety properties like the SSRI's-Zoloft or Paxcil, or the SNRI's like Effexor or Cymbalta.

I hope this helps. Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know that medicare doesn't cover benzos. I use the clonazepam for sleep and it keeps me anxiety free during the day because of its long half life. Vistral, etc aren't sedating enough to get me to sleep.
SSRIs give me insomnia.
You really didn't answer my question which was "are there any stand alone drug plans" since medicare plan D doesn't cover benzos

Hello.

Trazadone is often used as a sleep aid due to its sedating effects, so you might ask your physician for that. I have no idea about stand alone drug plans, but I do know that medicare supplements do not cover benzodiazapines as well. Medicare covers the sleep medicattons, Amnien, Sonata, and Lunestra as well as trazadone.. I hope that has helped. I am sorry I misread the part about stand alone plans, but i would speculate that the cost6 would far exceed the cost of Klonapin (clorazepam) which is fairly cheap.

Sincerely.

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, you have not answered my main question about stand alone drug plans.I was looking for the names of any. Ambien, Sonata, etc, don't work for me

Have you tried trazadone-it is only prescribed at night due to the sedation it causes

Ralph LMHC

Again sorry I could not mprovide a stand alone drug plan

I am going to opt out as possibly another expert has infomation that can help re insurance.

Sincerely,

Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

Yes Ralphs response is the right one. Trazedone is the way to go. The only other non addictive sleep meds that I have seen work are in the anti histamine family, eg, benadryl and vistaril. I think Trazedone (an anti depressant) is the most benign of meds. Its covered by insurance.

Cathy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is not an answer to my question. I know all about the meds. What my question is are there any stand alone drug plans that you know of.
Paul
Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

Trazedone.

You can also ask for benedryl or vistaril which are "stand alone drugs" but I would go with Ralphs recommendation of trazedone first. I think he answered your question..

they are all stand alone drugs stephan. all covered by medicare d

Edited by cathy on 12/8/2009 at 4:09 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you keep missing the question. which is are there any stand alone drug PLANS.
Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

You know Ralph gave you a very precise and expert answer on this and we have both listed quote "stand alone" drugs that are covered by med d, so you can choose to accept the information or opt out.
good luck

Cathy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wasn't looking for medication recommendations. You both are very frustrating. Benzos are the only class of drugs that work for me. I am aware of all the meds like trazadone, ambien, and etc. I am trying to find out if there is a drug plan that covers benzos. You both don't seem to understand that, I don't know why.
I asked a simple question, you didn't have an answer. At least say "I don't know of any drug plans that cover benzos." What's so difficult about that. All you need to say is "I don't know". What could be simpler than that. I am very knowledgeable about sleep medication. I've been taking it for 15 years.
Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

No stephan there is not but then that is not what you asked. You specifically asked for a medicine that would help you that was covered by med d. You never asked about benzos. Reread your query.

You asked a simple question and were given expert answers. You never asked specifically about benzos and had you we would have both told you that they are not covered by med D and that they are very addictive and all the rest.

If you are addicted to klonopin than you need to tell your prescriber and take it from there.

You never asked that question. If you had wanted the advice of an expert you got that with Ralph and now its just up to you. You never asked the question you are posing tonight.

Good luck

Cathy

Edited by cathy on 12/9/2009 at 1:45 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cathy:
No, you really need to read my original query. I have cut and pasted it below. In which I clearly say that I know that klonopin is not covered by med d. and I simply ask if you know of a drug plan that would cover it. Is it so hard to admit that an "EXPERT" is wrong. And let this be the end if this ridiculous battle. And you don't need to warn me that benzos can be addictive. I am well aware of that. I am under the care of one of New York Magazines best geriatric psychopharmacologists here in New York at New York Presbyterian Hospital. All I was trying to find out was if I could get a break on the price through some drug plan other than Med D
Paul

Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

Again you have my very best wishes and of course the most important thing is that you find relief as soon as possible, so its unfortunate that we were not able to help you more at JustAnswer. I know NYPresbyterian very very well and I have to say that you are being treated at one of (if not the) best facilities in the world.

I know we have agreed to drop this ridiculous argument but I have to add one small thing. And that is that a large number of benzo studies were done at Columbia NY Pres and I would so like you to find some relief.

so no you cant break the price but I would turn it back on your physician and ask for either a non benzo alternative or you can ask them to write you scripts through NY Pres pharmacy and No, I am not hopeful about that. I havent seen that done in years.

I hope you get some relief. Arguments or no, its important that you feel better soon.

Ultimately that is what is important.

Good Luck Stephan and feel better.

Argument closed.

Cathy

cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience: MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health