Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder I believe however

Customer Question

I have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder
I believe however that my brain just works in overdrive,i have been described as being exceptionally intelligent,and friends say that my problem is i am so intelligent and quick thinking i leave others behind.I am capable of researching massive amounts of facts nreached top aademic and vocational levels.I did have one psychotic spell when i got diagnosed.since then i have beeen sectioned when really i was stressed and wasnt coping well by going into overdrive,sleep probs etc,.Although i said i just need a holiday,i got admitted instead.EVERYTHING gets read into and treated as a bipolar thing and i got sick of this
I do take my medicattion but wondered basically who is fooling who as i have learned the symptoms of bipolar and basically i can switch it on and off at will,e.g go into academic hyperdrive when researching,yet stick to monosylllables at my Psychiatric review.If i can control it doees it mean i have an ILLNESS?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 7 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
To respond, I need to ask a couple questions.
what medications are you on (dosage, how long, compliance)
When you say you can control it, can you at times or always, including energy level, sleep.
Describe your episode of psychosis when you were diagnosed in some detail. How did your hospitalization happen?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My psychosis was partially drug induced i believe.I was treated with Haloperidol.In answer to your question i can not control sleep/energy levels .Stress is a trigger and if this occurs i ten to go into overdrive,researching on the internet..at the moment i am anxious re finances and jobs,so for example have been staying up all night on the internet since getting unfairly sacked from my job last week through no fault of my own.

I intially felt very depressed and lethargic ,then made a concerted effort to pull to and direct positive energy into job hunting....alll night ...safe in the knowledge i can sleep all day.I prefer to study at night but it is getting a hab it.However i AM aware. What should i do to manage this conscious incompetence ? The stress trigger has subsided now as i have been offered a job....willl i settle again.I am taking my meds

Kind regards

Helen

Hi Helen:
Illness is such an annoying term. I would say you have something on the bi-polar spectrum. I read an article yesterday where they had classified everyhing from bipolar .25 to .5 to I, II,.....V. I tell you this because it is a matter of degrees. I do liken it to an illness like diabetes, not a progressive disorder or a transient one. You body has a chemical imbalance, and the better you control it, the better your quality of life. Difficult aspects of bipolar are it can feel really good and it can be helpful. Many rich and or famous people have nbeen bipolar. The difficulty is for every fortune they make, they typically get manic and have poor judgment and lose two. Certainly the hypomania can be precipitated by stress, but not caused by it (same with drug). If you have the depressive episodes, those tend to be more painful.
On a personal note, I have been a nite person forever. I started stuying (during grad school) when Johnny Carson was over and if I got done, at 4 or 5 I would buy my groceries. It worked then. Not so well when I got a "real job" and had to get up at 5am. I have always though it was primary onset insomnia and my doctors agree. I don't get the fun stuff. I just received a book on the neurobiology of sleep and affective disorders, so I am anxious to learn more. There is so much we don't know!

Please tell me what medication you are currently on, dose, and compliance. Also, I am concerned about you request for hel with managing you "concious incompetence". What do you mean? And what drug do you think induced psychosis? Do you self medicate with any non script drugs or alcohol?

Answer then I can leave you with some parting thoughts.