Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

I have been sober and in AA for 26 years.Whenever I try to

I have been sober and in AA for 26 years.Whenever I try to share I make no sense and am unable to express myself.I know that the only way to lessen a fear is to not avoid it,take small steps and eventually it will lessen.This has not happened with me I am so conscious of my difficulty in sharing that I now avoid going to meetings.Have you any suggestions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer
Thank you for using JustAnswer! Sorry to hear this is keeping you from going to meetings. They are so important to recovery and 26 years certainly proves it! Congratulations on this huge accomplishment. I'm wondering, have you ever gotten feedback from others at the meetings that you are perceived this way? Sometimes we can get in our own heads and then we worry about how we look to others and it shuts us down and eventually keeps us from the very thing that helps us the most. I believe that is the disease trying to keep you away. I would suggest seeking out someone at the meetings, preferably your sponsor, and sharing that you are having this problem. You know they say every time you share it gets cut in half. I would encourage you to tell everyone your close with at the meetings that you are experiencing this. I bet you will get a bunch of "me too's".
If you don't feel comfortable with this you may want to consider seeking the services of a therapist that can help you learn better socialization and speaking skills. Being able to talk in meetings and in social situations is certainly a learned skill and can be taught by a therapist. A therapist can also help you to work on the negative self talk, the "criticizing of yourself".

I hope this answer helps, please let me know if you need clarification or if you have any other questions.

Take care, Kym

If you found this answer helpful today, please leave Feedback after Accepting so that I can receive credit for my answer. This is the only way I get paid for my Answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always very much appreciated. Thank you!

Experience: Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker