Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

My son was hospitalized for the first time for mania the end

Customer Question

My son was hospitalized for the first time for mania the end of August. Not educated in this disorder, I've read everything I can. I can't get him to take his meds. He never smoked cigerates. He is now over pack1/2 a day. He walked off his job and colledge, a couple days before he went into mania. So many people tell me to kick him out. I mourn the 27 year old son I use to have. But How can I get him to take his meds. He has always been such a good guy, just because of this disorder I can't put him out. He is starting to get mean again. I go to support groups but....I still can't make him. HELP Thanks..Broken Heart
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Hi yagoda,
Thank you for using JustAnswer! I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. Unfortunately, this is a common question when loved ones have bipolar disorder. This is a disease that is riddled with denial. The person with the disease can not see that he is clearly decompensating and therefor gets worse and worse. If you are not ready to kick him out you will probably have to wait until he hits his bottom with this disease. If he becomes a danger to himself or to someone else then you have the option to have him hospitalized against his will and the hospital will make him take his medication. It sounds like you are doing everything you can do right now, short of kicking him out, here is a great resource with tips to help you cope further with this.

I'm really sorry there isn't a better answer to this question. But all you can do is wait for him to need an involuntary hospitalization or possibly even jail due to his behavior to help him start to take his meds.

I hope this answer helps, please let me know if you need clarification or if you have any other questions.

Take care, Kym

If you found this answer helpful today, please leave Feedback after Accepting so that I can receive credit for my answer. This is the only way I get paid for my Answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always very much appreciated. Thank you!