Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

a friend recently adopted a 6 month old puppy. after the first

a friend recently adopted a 6 month old puppy. after the first few days, she was overwhelmed with the prospects of the care involved. she appeared to have some love for the dog, but didn't want to pay attention to it when it whined. she told me that the breeder held it too much in the previous six months and spoiled it. within 10 days she was talking about selling it to a neighbor. that didn't work and within 2 weeks she had given it up for adoption to an agency at a considerable cost to herself. what does this say about the adopter as a loyal person or just a friend?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
Well I must admit my bias. I have 2 dogs and a cat that sleep with us. Big dogs.

That said, I sure hope the puppy is in a better home.

People have varied attitudes about animals. Some do not consider them family as I do. Looking at this objectively, I can't say it says anything about her relationships with people. If she views them differently (animals and people) she he could be loyal to people , not to dogs. I think you will have to judge for yourself.

The positives of what she did are she apparently did not abuse it. When she realized she did not want the responsibility, she found it a new home, as you said, at great cost to herself. She could have just dumped it on the street or been creul. On the continuum of loyality to the dog, she did act responsibly when she knew it was wrong. The dog is likely better off without her. As a strong dog lover, I have to say she could have been worse.

I recommend you assess her loyality and friendship on how she treats you.

Personally I appreciate your concern and your compassion.

For you.....