Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW

My Marine son was injured by an IED blast while serving in

My Marine son was injured by an IED blast while serving in Iraq on Feb 28 2007. We flew to D.C. He had/has several traumatic injuries. A brain injury,internal injuries, loss of both testicles, a broken femur and loss of his right leg below the knee. He was in a screaming coma for over three months. My husband and I along with his sister flew to be with him in Washington D.C. Where he was transfered after 8 weeks to a Tramtic injury center, a polytrauma center. We were there for 6 weeks. We then flew back to D.C. and continued his care at XXXXX XXXXX. My daughter was able to stay until Sept. My husband stayed until Oct. I stayed with my son until we came home for Christmas. We stayed with him 24/7 as he had very little short term memory. While there we witnessed so much pain, anguish not only in ourselves but from the hurting families all around. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in May of this year.Double Masectomy in june. I was abused as a child from 3to 15 will I ever recover?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to hear that you have been through so much right now. Recovery takes on many diferent views. You will never forgot what you have gone through and there will be times of pain that you remember BUT you can move forward through this and find things to look forward to in life and find good things in life. You have been through a lot and have seen many things and can use the pain you have experienced to help others who are suffering the same pain you have experienced.

I would suggest you continue with counseling, cry, grieve, deal with the losses you have experienced, and then learn how to be able to move forward in your life and best cope with your experiences.

I wish you the best. Please let me know if I can assist anymore.