Kelley
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
20327072

hi my name is john molloy and im very worried about my 6 year

Customer Question

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX and im very worried about my 6 year old son im separated from my wife 2 years now and have my twin boys every weekend . since he was very young all he was interested in was dolls and girls in general as of lately he has told me he wishs he was a girl he is very confused and its affecting him very badly please help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

He is still very young and may not understand the differences in gender roles. He may enjoy dolls and the caretaking roll as he sees his parent's in. This may be especially true if he is with his mother most of the time and you every other weekend. He is imitating what he sees most often.

If you are very concerned and it is effecting his behavior or emotions then I would suggest you get him in to see a child therapit. They can help him explore what is going on and see if this is appropriate age related behavior or if there is more going on. Let me know if I can assist anymore!