Annie Murdach
Annie Murdach, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Master's degree in Educational Psychology and Counselor Education. LCPC in Illlinois
24985475

why did Zoloft stop working after 1 month Felt better.. now

Customer Question

why did Zoloft stop working after 1 month?? Felt better.. now way worse than beginning this drug
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Annie Murdach replied 7 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for your question. Sometimes medications such as Zoloft can take 4-6 weeks to have the maximum effect. If the medication helped you at first but is not now, you may need a higher dosage. Starting on medications can often be a trial and error process and may take some time to find the right medication. Physicians generally place patients on the lowest dosage 25-50 mg per day as a starting point to see how the person responds. Since it has already helped with your symptoms, it is quite possible you may need a higher dosage to reach maximum benefits of the medication. It would be a conversation to have with your doctor at your next appointment. Other things that might effect the way the medication works is, not taking it exactly as prescribed, changing to a generic form of the drug, weight gain/loss, or other medication interactions. If any of these have occurred, speak with your physician.

I hope this helps you. If you are satisfied with my response please select "accept" so that I may be credited for my answer. This is the only way I get paid. Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Actually..It stopped working after the dose was doubled. So..
Oh, I see. Could it be possible that the relief you felt when you first began taking the med was because you thought the medication would help (placebo effect)? It may be that you need a different medication or a higher dosage still.

If you are satisfied with my response please select "accept" so that I may be credited for my answer. This is the only way I get paid. Thank you!