Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW

How concerned should I be with the following My son is 12

How concerned should I be with the following:
My son is 12 years old, is very bright and is a talented athlete - very nice looking as well and most see him as a leader. However, he does not see himself as smart, is extremely hard on himself, and negative self-talks. He is having difficulty dealing with social "taunting" that occurs at this age and takes it all to heart - to the point that it upsets him all day long, effects his "game" when playing - you can see it on his face.
The fact that in school he is learning about depression and emotional health has also started him to ask his parents if he is normal, say he needs to see a doctor, say things like "my thoughts never go away." - let's top it all off with the fact that his mother is very type A - diagnosed depressed, and takes pristique. There is also a family history of depression and issue or middle school growing pains?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

It could be some depression and anxiety. Especially if he is willing and asking to go I would get him into a child therapist. They will be able to talk to him and really explore what is going on as well as help him learn to handle everything appropriatly. It would not hurt him to be able to see a counselor and hopefully should help! I wish you and him the best. Please let me know if I can assist anymore.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What about the information given suggests depression/anxiety vs. normal middle school years?
Expert:  Kelley replied 6 years ago.
Middle school years are very hard and some of this could be middle school issues but there is some that goes beyond it such as that the taunting bothers him ALL day long and he seems to have such a hard time getting over it that it effects his other activities. Because of that his coping skills seem low. He seems to be doing well in many other areas but with a family history of depression/anxiety there is some concern. He does not necessarily need medications at this point but since he is asking to see someone and feels he needs to see someone since "his thoughts never go away" is concerning.