Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

i have lied about getting out of work three times in a space

i have lied about getting out of work three times in a space of 14 months,the lies have been herendous,ranging from the death of my father,to the death of my daughter,my wife is horrified,she thinks i need help,please advise

Hey poppydaisy,

Yes, you do need help. This type of lie is so easy to get caught in that you're taking huge risks for some reason. If this is a new phenomenom, you might be having some impulse control issues that could be associated with quite a few causes. One of the reasons people do this is called hypomania . Click on that link and check it out. If that matches you, go to your doctor and talk about it - medication can help.

If that doesn't match for you, then it may be a psychological issue, and a visit to a counselor will help you ferret out exactly what is the cause of this. You need to do something about this soon before it escalates into more troublesome behavior for you.

Thanks for the chance to answer your question today.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for the reply,can i ask you more ,i feel that i struggle with the pressure at work,i hate my job,im very irritable at work and home,i cant cope with things that get me out of routine,

Hey Poppy,

I think this is all part of the same thing, and that it is a medical issue that you need to discuss with a physician.