Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Hi, I suffer from depression and PTSD. Yesterday at work

I suffer from depression and PTSD. Yesterday at work I pretty much had a nervous breakdown or panic attack and snapped at one of my supervisors and left work upset and crying. I called in today for work.I'm seeing my psychiatrist tmrw and I'm pretty sure she will tell me to take medical leave to adjust my meds. should I tell my supervisor my condition or just let him think I was acting out? I don't want to quit my job but I am very embarrass to go back to work. Please help!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
If your MD supports you , there is no reason for them to know why. All they need to know is that you were not feeling well and it may affected your mood and judgment. The medical leave will like not need to include diagnosis or details unless you file disability. Tell them the minimum. They are your employer first, and friends last. Protect your rights, Have MD write you were ill and need leave, No details necessary.