Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

I have a history of depression and anxiety.. I am am taking

I have a history of depression and anxiety.. I am am taking Celexa 40 mg that was doubled from 20 mg 3 weeks ago.. Yesterday I got upset about something and have been crying on and off.. I am feeling hopeless, worthless, alone, not loved, and am just a complete mess!! Is this the sign of a nervous breakdown? Should I go to the emergancy room? I am so unsettled and the tears are non stop!!!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi tanley. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. I know it feels horrible to not be able to get control of your emotions. Please remember, though, that you are being treated for depression. And while medication can be extremely beneficial in helping you feel better, it doesn't mean that you are never going to feel bad again. You will still experience emotional ups & downs, and some days will be worse than others.

Based on what you have said, I don't think you are having a nervous breakdown and I don't think going to the emergency room is necessary. However, you are in the best position to judge how bad you feel, and if you are truly not able to get ahold of yourself, it would be an option. If you are feeling suicidal though, you do need to go to the emergency room.

Something obviously triggered a lot of emotion for you. I would suggest you talk with your therapist about it at your next appointment (I'm assuming you have a therapist). Perhaps an anti-anxiety medication would be helpful at times like these to help you calm down and regain control. Please talk with your Dr. about that.

Best wishes, and please let me know if you have any further questions. Tamara