Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

my son just turned 18- his erratic behavior began about two

my son just turned 18- his erratic behavior began about two years ago but became much more severe in the last year.- bizarre thoughts -some auditory hallucinations- including thinking signs were being sent through the radio and newspaper;- he has increasingly been smoking marajuana- obsessively so ( my son does have ocd). some of the drs. seem to think that his behavior could be a side affect of the weed while others say that weed would not cause such behavior. he was hospitalized in july- they diagnosed him as bipolar however several of the therapists he has seen think this is the onset of schizophrenia.- the psychiatrists refuse to fill his medication until he stops smoking weed(unlikely) -he is more and more withdrawn- rarely leaving the house and not taking care of his personal hygeine ( i have had to brush his teeth and wash his hair in the sink) i have spent a fortune on drs. and still have no answers,- what can i do to help him?

From what you describe and the time of onset, it certainly could be a schizophrenic break. If all the people that were using illegal hallucinogenics were refused psychtropic anipsychotic medication, the number of prescriptions would be reduced by millions, He is quite correct that the use of a hallucinogenic is not well advised, but if one follows harm reduction principals he would not be "punished" by refusing to administer antipsychotic medication. All I can say is if that were to be my child I would seek out another psychiatrist as there obviously not a therapeutic relation going on here. i wish you all the best and hopes this clarifies what appropriate treatment is.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

My response disappeared.Never the less your son could be going through a schizophrenic break given his age and the small amount of information provided. He certainly seems to be experiencing an emotional illness despite what the psychiatrist has said. And although he should not be using hallucinogenics as they tend to make things worse, I do not understand the rational of witholding antipsychotic meds because he is doing drugs, otherwise there would be millions who weren t being treat. I, if possible you should hire a psychiatrist for an outside independent opinion. I would also think about changing psychiatrists as there does not seem to be a warm therapeutic relation going on here which is necessary to make progress in treatment. Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Sincerely,

Customer/p>