Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

my son is 18 and refuses to get help. He has been diagnosed

my son is 18 and refuses to get help. He has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. But recently he has been dressing funny. staying out in the streets for a few days. He seems to stay in a constant state of dilusion. Is there any legal recourse or other support for him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer I'm sorry to hear about your son. Unfortunately, because he is 18, there really isn't anything you can do to force him to get help unless he is deemed by the court to be a danger to himself or others. Being on the street could qualify as being a danger to himself IF he is unable to provide for himself (in terms of food, shelter, personal care) and there is a reasonable probability of serious physical debilitation if he doesn't receive treatment. You would have to go before the court, however, and provide evidence before an order would be given. Try to keep talking with him to convince him to get help. He needs your support and guidance.

Best wishes. Tamara

Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Sorry. I meant to give you this link to a website that has a lot of good information.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your advice.....I will keep trying to help him.
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome. I' m sorry it's not better news.