Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

I have an odd habit that worries me. For many years I have

I have an odd habit that worries me. For many years I have had a tendency to get very angry when alone. In these times, I yell, scream, and at times have hit myself in the head or broken things. I thought it was getting better, but recently, I've noticed these episodes having a bigger physical effect. My heart races, and I feel short of breath. I have also started snapping at people, overreacting to things that bother me. I feel much the same way with the racing heart rate when this happens too. What's going on?
HiCustomer It sounds like this has been a struggle for you. Anger is a feeling that is a response to what we are thinking about. So I would imagine that when you are alone you begin thinking about things that cause you distress, and with nothing to distract you, you allow it to spiral out of control to the point where it feels that you need to do something physical to stop the feelings. Intense anger will make you heart race and cause you to be short of breath. The same will apply when you feel short with people - you have likely been thinking about something that leaves you feeling annoyed and you snap at people.

I would suggest to start paying close attention to what you are thinking, as you do have the ability to control your thoughts. When you find yourself having disturbing thoughts, try distracting yourself instead of further feeding the negative thoughts. There are many techniques you can use. I would suggest this book: Thoughts and Feelings: Taking Control of Your Moods and Your Life by Matthew McKay, XXXXX XXXXX, and Patrick Fanning. this is a self-help workbook designed to help you become more aware of your feelings, how they influene your moods, and how to feel better. If this isn't helpful, I would suggest you work with a therapist who can further coach you in these techniques and help you get to the root of your anger.

Best wishes, and please let me know if you have any further questions. Tamara