Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I have a 21 year old son who my husband and I are concnerned

I have a 21 year old son who my husband and I are concnerned about. He is athletic, nice looking and kind. All through his school years I had concerns about his learning issues. Once I had him tested in the 5th grade but they could never give an answer as to why he just does not get things. Now, he can't fill out a job application or college app without assistance. We want to know if there is someone we can see who can test him or help us to help him?

He should see a neuro psychologist in order to determine if there are any organic issues. In addition his cognitive and communication abilities need to be further investigated as you did not receive an answer when he was tested in school. If he cannot fill out a simple application it is important to find out what the impediments are and go from there. At this point all you know is that he has a significant problem. As to the the cause that is what you wish to find out. It would be purely speculative to try to determine the cause at this point. It could range from such things as attention disorder communications disorder to cognitive impairment. Some of the causes are amenable to treatment whereas others are irreversible and require adjustment in plans for future goals. Again I advise against speculation and urge testing and then go from there.

I wish you all the best and hope that this information has been helpful.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.