Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

How does affective psychosis differ from schizophrenia

How does affective psychosis differ from schizophrenia?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

Briefly stated it is an ICD not DSM term. The significant difference is that in schizophrenia, psychosis (the presence of delusions and hallucinations) is usually present, but there is not necessarily a change in mood. In an effective psychosis there are the same psychotic symptoms but there is also a prominent disturbance in mood usually severely depressed, but can also be an unrealistic euphoria. So to recap: In schizophrenia the psychosis is prominent and there may or may not be mood disturbances. Whereas is in an Affective Psychosis, the prominent feature is the the severe disturbance of mood-usually depression, with the psychosis be present, but secondary. I hope that this has been helpful and I wish you the best.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.