Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

I have a transgender child who is also bi-polar and borderline

I have a transgender child who is also bi-polar and borderline personality. I'd like to help him/her but am thwarted. Any suggestions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

Keeping up with the appointments would be a key here. The bipolar disorder symptoms will have to be managed by medication.

Unfortunately, you are stuck if the person does not want to comply with medication of with counseling. You could only provide encouragement and offer to go to the appointment with them if they agree.

If you fear that the person is becoming unstable and may harm oneself or another, you could get an involuntary commitment signed by the probate judge and the sheriff can pick the individual and bring them to a crisis facility where they can remain for up to 72 hours. Just find out how to proceed with that in your state possibly by phoning the sherif or a mental health crisis center to inquire about this possibility.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How can I get more information from their caregivers and be more "in the loop"?
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.
Only by asking the person to sign a release of information form. They may agree when you let them know that you are trying to be helpful because you care and love them.