Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Psychologist
Experience:  19 years conducting therapy; book author; newspaper columnist; former co-host of radio show
25768173

I have a new diagnosis of A.D.D. I am 52 and mad, glad, and

Customer Question

I have a new diagnosis of A.D.D. I am 52 and mad, glad, and sad all three weeks since I have known. Psychiatrist did not want to put me on meds for it yet. But rather 1 mg. of respiridone so I could get some rest. He did say it was an antipsyotic, and that I have neither bipolar or schiz. I don't have an appt. until 12/10. I am eager for A.D.D. meds. I have had enough sleep. I am very frustrated and feel like I'm losing my mind. I have called to see if I could get in to see him if there is a sooner cancellation by another patient. His office has not called back yet. I had left a message on his cell, how persistent is too persistent? I have my weekly psychologist appt. who is in favor of natural measures to take. I believe in meds. Shall I ask if it is a conflict for psychologist. I don't know doctor speak or protocol. If either one of them let my primary care know about ADD, he would prescribe ADD meds. I think you can tell I'm frustrated. There's a couple questions in here.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 4 years ago.
Hi Honee:

Whew! You do have a few questions shooting through there. Let's see what we can do for you...

(1) (take a deep breath here) - you have (presumably) lived with the ADD for 52 years already, why so upset about waiting for another 9 days? Given your history with alcohol, he may be hesitant to prescribe the ADD med without really sitting down with you first because of their potential for abuse.

(2) The psychologist shouldn't have a problem with meds, although this is a fair question to ask him/her. I would bet it will be okay - s/he may prefer homeopathic remedies, but should work with you regardless of your decision. However, if it is a deal-breaker for him/her, then cut loose and get a referral to someone who shares your point of view.

(3) I am also a bit curious why you are keeping the ADD from your GP? There is something fishy about that whole side of the story. Are the other professionals concerend about substance abuse? And furthermore, why haven't you shared this info with your doc?

(4) Women with fibromyalgia have typically experienced abuse as children, so I also wonder if the professionals are trying to weed through whether your focus/energy problems are the result of PTSD rather than ADD. Just a thought - I don't know.

(5) Finally, risperdal (risperidone) is not typically prescribed for sleep - rather, it is most often used to treat the manic symptoms of bi-polarity. It is used for schizophrenia too, but I am guessing the psychiatrist listened to your describing the incredible mood swings combined with your (obvious) energy, and thought there was a chance for mania or hypomania. In fact, when I first read your question, my mind wandered in that direction, too - so don't hold that against the doc.

In summary Honnee, sit tight and let the psychiatrist do his or her thing. Go to the meeting on the 10th and see what they have to say. Afterall, if it was your psychiatrist who gave you the diagnosis, s/he already knows the drill. If it was the psychologist, then the psychiatrist may want to have theirs be the second opinion. Everyone needs to be CERTAIN of a diagnosis before treatment is commenced.

If you are satisfied with the answer you have been given, please hit “ACCEPT” so that I may get credit.

Thanks!

Dr. Steve

Dr. Steve, Psychologist
Experience: 19 years conducting therapy; book author; newspaper columnist; former co-host of radio show
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i wrote my reply and pressed accept. it came back to this blank page. and another green accept button, hope no double charge.

previous reply said: no substance or childhood abuse. fibromyalgia/stress causes body pain. begun reas. accomm. from stressful job. should help. GP knows psycholog. diag. ADD. he asked for 2nd opin. fm. psychiatrist. psychiatrist agreed. need psychiatr. to inform GP. stopped xanax/soma to protect recovery/self-medicating. my docs trust me. i trust them. my confusion is the three-way communication with all of them. head spinning. its like they all do their own thing and don't collaborate. for reas. accom. its up to me to coordinate. who to tell who what? and then reply to reas.accom. physican??? 52 yrs. yea, long time, patience gone.

Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 4 years ago.
Got it... totally. It's too bad that we don't coordinate better than we do, but in this case I would say that if you want somehting done, you have to do it yourself (which you have been doing all along!). One thought for you - you are entitled to copies of your medical records. It may help if you have two of the three docs copy your chart for you (they have to be given 24-48 hours notice and there may be a cost for the duplication) or write a summary for you, and then you can present the info to the doc you like/trust the most. That way, you will have done all you can to centralize the info.

That may not completely avoid the problem, but you will have led the horse to water (so to speak).

Good luck to you!
Dr. Steve
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 4 years ago.
P.S. - I just checked, and you were not double-charged.
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 4 years ago.
I agree with Steve. we are also friends, so no charge for my addition here. I was curious about your diagnosis. I am wondering who made the diagnosis and how thry arrived at it. Adult ADD resembles other conditions. Usually some involved psych testing (very structure task, very diverse, often timed) is necessary to tell the different disorder apart. I just want to see you treated properly.