Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

my 22 y.o. daughter after 2 yrs. of dating her now fiance was

my 22 y.o. daughter after 2 yrs. of dating her now fiance was told he wanted out...she is crushed and depressed. she can't eat, sleep, study for her college classes...finals next week. i took her to a local psychiatist(sp) yesterday and after talking to her for 5 minutes said these feeling are normal, give it a week, you"ll get better. she was crying the entire time. was this doctor for real ? he had a terrible bedside manner! no rx s given.
Sorry you had to see a doctor that not only had no beside manner but no compassion. Right now she is in shock over her breakup, it's new, it's fresh and it's painful. It's going to be very hard for her to concentrate on anything right especially studying for exams. I would suggest she call her regular doctor and get a prescription for some medication to help her through the next few weeks. I would also suggest she get a note to give her professors that state she may defer her exams until the new year, not sure that will work but it's worth a try. She needs to let them know that she is going through a very hard time and isn't able to concentrate, and just because it's more mental than physical should be treated as if she had a physical illness. Unfortunately grief, because of a break-up somehow isn't viewed as traumatic, but for her I am sure it feels like the end of the world. This is very traumatic for her and she deserves to grieve over it. She may want to speak to a grief therapist, someone who is trained in helping people who experience loss. The last thing she wants to hear right now is that she'll get over it, it will take more than a week. You are supportive parents, that's what she needs right now, keep giving her the love and TLC. Reasoning of any type is going to be hard for her right now, down the road she will be able to figure it out. I will tell you, as a parent that things like this usually happen for a reason and it's better now than after marriage. There is nothing you can say right now to make her feel better, time is the healer.
I wish you the best.
Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied.

Edited by Dr.Keane on 12/1/2009 at 4:22 PM EST