Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

My daughter has high anxiety, abdominal pain, low iron and

My daughter has high anxiety, abdominal pain, low iron and has a mild learning disability. When she was younger (she's 24 now) she had trouble making simple decisions, she would start crying at McDonalds because she couldn't decide what to order. She's on anti depressants, iron pills, birth control (for irregular periods)and dicyclomine (for possible irritable bowl syndrome)as needed. She doesn't seem to be improving. Where can I go for help. I feel there may be more than one cause for her problems.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome,

Your daughter's anxiety being severe, can be the reason she is suffering from possible irritable bowel syndrome. I am not an MD but have seen patients in my practice whose anxiety has caused many serious physical ailments. What you can do for her is suggest she get a full evaluation with a psychiatrist (not sure where she is getting her antidepressant prescribed), she may need to change her antidepressant or add something. Everyone is different and you want to find what works for her. It may take a few adjustments or changes in physican's to get the right medication. She would also be well served if she saw a therapist, a cognitive behavioral psychologist to help her learn how to handle her stress and anxiety. They will teach her techniques to use when she starts feeling anxious, teach her to ward off any anxiety attacks and help her in general. Then she would not only feel better emotionally, her physical ailments will go away or at least become less severe. Anxiety can wreck havoc on the body. Get rid of it and you feel better. I don't believe her anxiety is causing any of the iron deficiency(common in young women) or her learning disability (although it may have been a factor) and I can't comment on those issues. But a good therapist combined with the right medication and a positive attitude that she can conquer her anxieties will be a start. I agree that there may be more than one cause for her problems but start with getting her to a place where she can focus and not feel so anxious. If you would feel better doing something from the physical part, you can take her to a teaching hospital where she can get a full work-up, but my caution here is that until she has the anxiety under control her physical ailments will still be there.
Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied.