Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

Where do you start w/anxiety.... I am a 50 yr. old male who

Where do you start w/anxiety.... I am a 50 yr. old male who started to have anxiety problems about 18-20 months ago. Went on Celexa and Klonopin for a short time and after 8 months [April '09] went off the Celexa and was doing great. Also started mindful meditation and exercise every day. My guess is the overwhelming worry of losing my job in this economy and maybe not healing from the prior stressors have set me off again. Like all sufferers it gets worse at night making it nearly impossible to sleep and just feeling disoriented at times. The rumination of more anxiety and lack of sleep makes it feel like insanity is around the corner. That being said I've spent so much time on the internet researching this that I know all of this is me and my thinking. Will this pass? Thanks in advance for your help!! Tom, Cleveland, Ohio
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning,

Worry about possible job loss can trigger anxiety as well as depression (stress intensify these underlying feelings) The lack of sleep is something that has to be addressed. It s not clear if you are still on any medications at this time.

There are alternatives besides medications that aid in sleep such as GABA, Melatonin, 5-HTP, Lemon Balm (to mention few of these) It is best to always consult with and MD if any of these are of interest to you. Other alternative options would be hypnotherapy.

If you have not tried cognitive behavioral counseling (it is quite effective in addressing anxiety)

The best place to start is to consult with a psychiatrist who can evaluate for medication for your physiological symptoms of the anxiety and to manage the disrupted sleep.

With proper treatment, anxiety is highly manageable.

Relieve Anxiety with Medical Hypnosis by Steven Gurgevich (Audio CD - Jun 1, 2007)

Anxiety & Stress Reduction by Eric Zeisler (MP3 Download)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My MD suggested .25 mg of klonopin at night for a while to help with sleep. Worked for a short time but now waking in 2-3 hrs and feeling downright scared and anxious. I know this is stress but it seems to be getting worse. I was on melatonin for 3 months with great success, but that stopped working about a month ago suddenly. It seems like everything I think of makes me anxious. I do not want to go the route of anti-deprssants again and want to work through this. Is it normal to feel scared and nervous all the time when things were so peaceful in my life as little as 3 weeks ago? Any suggestions on thought processes? My mind is working overtime!