Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

after having a few breakdowns in my life apparently called

Customer Question

after having a few breakdowns in my life apparently called schitzaphrenia , i have had to get on with my life losing a good career friends etc dealing with people treating me in a different way than they would have if none of this had ever happened i find these things very difficult to cope with when i'm well i am as everybody else and am fed up with peoples some times completely immature responses to me also completely unknowlegable biased oppinions i find the fact that i'm still working for a better career and feel i am a totally reasonable person i ask for nothing appart from a bit of respect i work hard and am a very caring individual but my life has been tarnished by these breakdowns, and i find myself totally heart broken not only because i go through these terrifying episodes but also i have to face a society that seems totally bigotted to individuals such as myself i have worked hard for dehrees and work and think if anyone could understand what i went through they would have m
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Morning,

You have mentioned that you have experienced some breakdown moments in your life and that you had been in a hospital. Schizophrenia runs in the family. Individuals who are severely depressed may experience a psychotic breakdown episode (and not have schizophrenia) It is possible to have had that versus the symptoms of schizophrenia (because once the depression lifts, the individual no longer experiences psychotic symptoms as to where in schizophrenia, the symptoms are generally persistent and can be manged with medication.)

It is possible to find a therapist and a prescribing physician (not each clinician is the best match for every person and that applies to other professionals) It sounds like you have had some disappointing experience with that (any person should be treated with respect no matter what the issue or diagnosis is)

Since you have mentioned struggling with the depression, medication is quite effective in treating it as well as the symptoms of schizophrenia in addition to therapy.

Some individuals find bibliotherapy helpful when dealing with depression, exercise, spiritual practices and alternative medicine.

Helpful books-

Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression, 2nd Edition, Completely Revised and Updated by Joseph J. Luciani

Getting Your Life Back Together When You Have Schizophrenia by Roberta Temes (

The Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Depression: Using Acceptance & Commitment Therapy to Move Through Depression & Create a Life Worth Living (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by Kirk D. Strosahl and Patricia J. Robinson