Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Hello. My Wife seems to have a fixation oabout getting Stress

Customer Question

Hello. My Wife seems to have a fixation oabout getting 'Stress Headaches' it has come to the point that all she thinks about is getting a headache - which of course she then does. the only thing she talks about is getting headaches and getting depressed. I have tried being nice and understanding and also trying to be firmer and more dominant to try to shale her out of it. I am at my wits end - whatever I do is wrong and I am begining to think the only way forward is to split up!!!!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

Hello Ian,

Stress Headache or Tension Headache is a commonly reported problem and many patient do suffer from it. Could you please tell me that,

What medicines have already been tried in her case?

Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I do not have the names of them here but there have been two types of Anti Depresent and a sleeping tablet - the sleeping tablet is working ok but the antidepreseants seem to have little or no effect. I will get the name of the Antidepresant if you need that.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
ok Ian, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The Anit depressant that she is on is Mirtazapine
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

Mirtazapine is very much sedating in nature but it is not very useful for treatment of Stress headache as seen in clinical practice.

If her diagnosis is Tension headache, and she has no heart related problems you can discuss with her doctor about the use of Tricyclic antidepressant such as Imipramine or Amitriptyline in her case which is very useful for treatment of stress headache as seen clinically. The drugs I have mentioned are also very good antidepressant as well as a good sedating agent also.

Best wishes,

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.