Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

Ive been having depresseon off and on for 6 years. I havent

I've been having depresseon off and on for 6 years. I have'nt seeked help at all about it because i'm not sure if i'm really depressed. Would i need to go see a Pscychiatrist? I also have anxiety and am pretty sure i've got insomnia. Do you think that i would need to seek help with the problems i've been having?
I know this may seem like a dumb question to you but i usually just keep things and feelings hidden and never tell anyone and i would like to feel happier someday because my happines has gone on and off for 6 maybe 6.5 years.
Could you tell me if i do have depression? It's not an everyday thing but mostly it occurs at least 4 days a week. I also have anxiety every day too. I feel so nervous that i have a panic attack for no reason. Is that normal? I even wake up in the middle of the night having hypertension and SOB. What should i do about that?
I'd appreciate your response thanks
signed,
clueless
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 4 years ago.
Hi scrazy. I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems. It would be difficult for me to say for sure if you are depressed without being able to talk with you more in depth, but from what you have said, I would say that it sounds like you probably are experiencing some depression. But what is more important than the diagnosis is how you feel - and it sounds like you are not happy. That right there is enough of a reason for you to seek professional help. You don't have to be officially depressed to benefit from therapy. Your anxiety sounds like it's a problem also. Between the depression and anxiety, I'm sure you're not feeling very well. I would like to see you try some cognitive-behavioral therapy. This type of therapy has proven to be very effective with both depression and anxiety, and I think you would benefit from it a great deal. You are young, and if you can learn to effectively deal with these issues now, you will have many more resources available to you to live a happier life.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara

Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience: 20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified
Expert:  Tamara replied 4 years ago.
Congratulations. I feel happy for you. It's hard to do, but it's the right thing to do. Good luck! Tamara