Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

i have tried counseling interventions hospitalizations for

Customer Question

i have tried counseling interventions hospitalizations for my depression and its starting to take a hold on me. where can i turn to
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

if you have tried the various medications available today, but have found no relief, one of the alternatives to you is electroconvulsive therapy or ECT. ECT is not what is portrayed in the media. It is done while you are asleep under the supervision of a psychiatrist and anesthesiologist. You are giving a muscle relaxants as well as sleep medication so that the convulsion that occurs is extremely minor, sometimes only the twitching of a finger demonstrates the convulsion. ECT has approved a lifesaver where nothing else has worked. There is one major drawback and daddy is that it severely impacts on short-term memory for approximately two-three weeks. After which the short-term memory usually returns. I suggest that if you've had numerous hospitalizations and tried many of the new medicines as well as therapy that you consider speaking to your psychiatrist about the possibility ECT, notably the pluses and the drawbacks. I hope that this information has been helpful I wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.