Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

i have panx attack on the road once, it scared me , i wanted

Customer Question

i have panx attack on the road once, it scared me , i wanted to drive pass the red light . i had to put my foot on the pedal hard to make me stop. what was wrong with me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 7 years ago.
First time panic attacks are very scary. We usually diagnose them in the ER because people are so scared. You did stop. That counts. One of the biggest challenges after having a panic attack is the fear of having another. Sometimes people will be afraid to drive.
We don't know why these occur. Perhaps just a random shot of adrenalin and then anticipation fear over the next occurs.
What is important for you to know is you may NEVER have another panic attack. You must not develop a phobia of having another.
If you feel one coming on, just take deep breathes, tell yourself this is just another stupid panic thing and calm yourself. If driving or whatever, pull over, get save and do the deep relaxing breathes and tell yourself it is not a big deal.
If you can do this now, it will avoid a lot of discomfort in the future.
Don't make too much of this. THAT is the worst thing you can do.