Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

a friend of mines, child is 20 and acting very odd... he sees

Customer Question

a friend of mines, child is 20 and acting very odd... he sees things and feels things, makes bad decisions and contunes to make up stories.. he recently has a psych eval and was told he had a stage of bi polar and they changed his meds.. he was in the treatment center for 12 days and he is no better if not worse... i just want to know what we can do for him he is a danger to society.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 4 years ago.

From what you described , he is experiencing a psychosis-hallucinations and delusions. That being said there are millions of people who are psychotic and pose no danger to society. Lincoln, and Ernest Hemingway, as well as many other famous people etc. were thought to be bipolar. So unlessl his hallucinations and delusions involve danger to others, which you have not indicated, there is no reason to believe he is a menace to society.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he threatens to kill people he is angered, he drives his car to random locations, runs out of gas and steals a bike to ride 25 miles home, gets picked up by a cop in 20 degree weather and tells him he is heading home and that he has no idea how to get there... he just drives and gets lost, he smokes dope... he destroys peoples property. and needs help.... he makes up stories, we were watching a movie one night "drag me to hell' and could not watch it because he was freaking out saying " this shit happens to me, alot" and was describing it, something needs to change with his, this is not how i or his mother know him..., he does not make concious decisions!!
Hello, then that which you describes, makes it entirely different picture, someone who threatens to kill people is a danger to others and the belong in an institution to protect those others and himself until he can be stabilized on medication and not present as a danger to self and others. I would notify his therapist if I had that information as well as contacting legal authorities. I would also bear his mental status in mind as he poses a potential threat to you.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

.
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 4 years ago.
Call 911 if you are in immediate danger. It will at least get him evaluated.