Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

What is the relationship between the three components of Freuds

What is the relationship between the three components of Freud’s "psychic apparatus," what he considers the structural model of the psyche – id, ego, and superego.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome,

The relationship between the id, ego and superego....let's start with id, it is born with us, it is the unconscious pleasure seeking component of the structural model. It's seeks pleasure and avoids pain. Simple basic instinct that we are born with.
Next we have the ego, The ego is based on the reality principle and is in our preconscious. The ego understands that other people have needs and desires and that sometimes being impulsive or selfish can hurt us in the long run. Its the ego's job to meet the needs of the id, while taking into consideration the reality of the situation.
Then we have the superego, The superego is divided into two parts; ego ideal and conscience. The ego-ideal is what we aspire to, a standard of good behavior. The conscience is our inner voice, it tells us when we have done something wrong. The superego is either a source of rewards, that is feelings of satisfaction and pride, or of punishment, feelings of shame or guilt.
The demands of the "id" (I want it and I want it now) and the demands of the superego, (no it's wrong) are often in conflict with each other.
According to Freud, the ego is the strongest so that it can satisfy the needs of the id, not upset the superego, and still take into consideration the reality of every situation. If the id gets too strong, impulses and self gratification take over the person's life. If the superego becomes to strong, the person would be driven by rigid morals, would be judgmental and unbending in his or her interactions with the world.
Please click accept and leave feedback when you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have another question this one I am not connecting with.

Maslow proposed the theory that people are motivated by a hierarchy of needs and that people pay attention to higher-level needs only when lower-level needs are satisfied. How does this relate to his concept of Eupsychia? What are the features that might characterize Eupsychia?

Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I will get back to you later today with the info...once you read it you'll connect....

Edited by Dr.Keane on 12/8/2009 at 5:39 PM EST
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
that was meant as a info question.....sorry
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay I will wait as I am struggling with what should be easy.
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Hi, okay., it's easy to understand but hard to put in words if that makes sense to you.......basically the characteristics of Eupsychia are groups of higher level people who encourage others at various levels to work towards higher levels of self actualization (a corporate Utopia or society that runs efficiently and smoothly). Maslow believed that if we had this Eupsychian type of society, everything would run better, the world would be a better place and be more efficient.
Self actualization means to make the best of yourself, to strive to get to that place where your unique abilities are used. The relation to Eupsychia then is that his hierarchy which is based on striving towards self actualization and it's there that we find the concept of Eupsychia, which to me sounds as though that concept be expanded to society as a whole. We are not fully tranformed (isn't that the last level????) yet but if led by people of this caliber society would be more efficient. Does that make sense? I am struggling to get it down and have it sound right....basically it's a utopian type existence.