cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
25773729

I have a child who is in professional school and has in the

Customer Question

I have a child who is in professional school and has in the last three months become very germ phobic and washes hand a hundred times a day worries that if they touch something someone might get something from their negligance. It seems the prof of residency are very hard to work with nothing is ever right......she has never been around so few positive strokes ever. They fear the stigma if they go for counseling and the insurance problems. It seems nothing makes her happy for very long. I know she loves her profession just hates where she is at......
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 7 years ago.

Hi Jean and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Over the past three months it seems as if everyone has been in this huge flu scare. Is it related to the hype of the flu? I can tell you that every institution has been going very much to the hilt on this?

Is it the flu scares (which are out of control) or something worse?"

Thank you

Cathy

cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience: MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do I pay 22 for each question answer?
Expert:  cathy replied 7 years ago.

No. If I have not answered you satisfactorially you dont have to pay a cent.

Heres the thing, over the past few months institutions have over instructed us to avoid the new swine flu and instructed us to hand wash and send home clients from therapy and students from school who exhibit a sniffle in the event that it might be a deadly flu.

I am only asking the question because where I work in Mass all the kids have been drilled on the dangers of the flu and behaving like robots, washing hands and not touching anyone, so when you asked your question that is what immediately came to mind.

I would say clinically that if the childs obsessive hand washing lasted more than six months and was not based a a cue (eg, someone telling her to avoid the flu that way) that you might have a psych problem.

I would wait six months and see what happens. Surely you do not have to pay if you are not satisfied with my answer and also I can opt out so that you can speak to another expert.
whatever the outcome good luck on this. I do think it is related to school scares, but definitely check with another expert on this.
I am opting out so you can do just that.

Cathy

Edited by cathy on 12/1/2009 at 2:27 AM EST
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 7 years ago.
Counseling should be confidential. If you don't use insurance, you are pretty much guaranteed confidentiality.
If she is medical school, they probably have her scared to death that they will criticize her if she doesn't wash her hands, so this may be a reaction. I agree with Cathy on that. If she is early 20ish, may be developing some obsessive / compulsive traits.
Even paying out of pocket one visit to a psychologist to help determine if this is reactive or OCD would hopefully put everyone's mind at ease. Professional school was not a joy. We all had to be a little OCD to survive. Sounds like she is getting her confidence and esteem pretty beat up. I honestly understand. Hopefully she has some trusted peer group to commiserate with. They are as stressed as she is.