Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
19637974

My father was put in prison on Monday for a very serious crime,

My father was put in prison on Monday for a very serious crime, and is facing possibly a life sentence. I'm really tore up over this. I don't know how to deal with it. How should one deal with something this tragic?

Hi, It is important for you to take the focus off yourself as much as possible, and be supportive of your father now. I am not sure of the crime he has committed, but do your best to separate him as your father from the behavior he has had. He will need your support if you are able to provide it for him. Not support of his crime, but support as your father.

Spend time with friends and family who are there for you as well. Those who will listen if you need to talk and not pass judgment on you at this time. If things get worse for you, such as problems sleeping and appetite, seek assistance from your MD for medications.

This is a difficult time. Learning to accept what has happened is a process and will take some time for you, your family, and your father. You can expect to pass through the stages of grief in deling with this. Those are: bargaiing, denial, anger, depression and acceptance. The grief may be connected to your father, the loss. May also be connected to your future expectations of you and your family, and what you would have liked to happen. There are many different types of feelings you can expect. Give yourself time to adjust. Hope this helps. Gina