Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

My son is 27. Are their considerations for his age SS

My son is 27.
Are their considerations for his age?
Hi, Can you explain your question?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The parenting process as set out in this program is designed for correcting communication and balance in oppositional behaviour for young children to to late teenagers.

Does the process we are about to implement to restore communication in our family apply to all ages. Our son is living at home and working on the farm but compliance is difficult. I now realise that this has been a life long pattern and was warned that he had 6 of 9 odd characteristics when he was 8 years old. I thought I was dealing with it but now realise I have not.

Communication process is usually appropriate for all age groups. However, because you are dealing with a young man as opposed to a teen, the sense of autonomy may be different, both in his and your mindset. You may have to adjust some of the consequence type of behaviors you want to impose to be more age appropriate for an adult living under the same roof.

Are there any drugs or alcohol involved?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No drugs, has been tested - he does not drink alcohol or caffiene,, does not smoke...

He was tested with an exceptionally high IQ when he was 17.

Boarding school was very difficult for him...from 12 years of age to

17 years....

he may have marginal asbegers but he loves company and has a great sense of humour.

Oh, Wonderful! It is always so much easier to deal without the impairment of substances. Some of the guidelines you may already know are to have very specific rules, expectations, and consequences which created less stress and confusion.

Verbal, direct, and concise communication strategies work well for Asberger's type behaviors, and they may view things in pieces rather than as the whole. So structuring daily activities in to parts rather than the full day may be helpful. Visual charts to help him see the expectations and progress are also helpful. And change can really throw things off a bit as well, so consistency and structure are key here.

Has he been to a psychiatrist for a diagnosis? Many children and adults with ADHD also have very high IQ scores, but have difficulty staying focused on task and also difficulty communicating due to background scatter noise. If you haven't done so, this may be worth the visit with a combination of behavioral modification and medication.

Hope this helps. Gina

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

he has been diagnosed professionally.

Your suggestions to support asbgergers is very helpful.

My struggle is to get the interest and support from his father

that I need.

His father is trying to control him with television and computer access.

I am asking for a written contract with understood consequences so everyone knows what is expected of them so when the consequence is applied there are no surprises and rewards are clear and understood.

Is a written contract a good idea?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He was tested for ADHD and it was negative.

Thank you for your reply. You have been very helpful.

HI, Yes, written communication is excellent because it enables a tangible contract between parties, structured so everyone can understand it and know when it is violated, and keeps on task. Thanks, Gina