Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I need help with my mother. She is severly depressed and angry.

Customer Question

I need help with my mother. She is severly depressed and angry. I have tried to help her in many ways to get help. She thinks I should do it for her. I really don't think she wants the help. She so plays the "victim". She has no victims, she is the victim. I have tried to talk to her and she will leave mad or hang up on me. I am really at an end with this. She is so me, me me...why me, what about me, what are you going to do for me, why did this happen to me, woe is me, poor me, look at me, me me me. This is so hard because you can't reason with the unreasonable, I know this. I have my master's degree in guidance counseling...but I can only help her so much. She won't listen to me, she thinks I am "preaching". I am 45 and still afraid of her so I can't say too much. She is almost like a bully. She is a bully. I need help on how to handle this. I would really like not to speak to her or go around her, but I know that is not right. Please help.Thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 7 years ago.
"I would really like not to speak to her or go around her, but I know that is not right. Please help.Thanks"

What is "not right" about this. I am biased as I had to do it with my mother and it was a great decision. My wife was reluctant until she got to know my mother. My mom never abused me. It was the whiney, selfish, victim I didn't need. Do what you know you need to, then deal with the guilt if you have it.

If this was an acquaintance, not your mother, would you put up with it? 45 years- you have done more than your daughterly duty.

Go be free and happy.

Ed