Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

My partner was diagnosed with Paranoid schizophrenia in 1999.

My partner was diagnosed with Paranoid schizophrenia in 1999. He now takes 300mg Serequel. I find his behaviour so unpredictable and he seems to go from extremley nice to aggressive.We are constantly arguing and he makes me feel like it's all my fault. My sister has suggested that he shows signs of being a narcissist, how do I know for sure?
I need to know how old he is. How long on serequel? Is he 100% compliant? Whether or not he is narcissitic is less important than how he treat you, but we can discuss when I get more info.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is 37 years old and has been on Serequel for approx 9 years. What do you mean by 100% compliant, that he always takes his medication?
Yes, does he always take it. Also, was he paranoid before 29 or is that when it started?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes he always takes it. I am not sure if he was paranoid before then. He describes it as he had a breakdown when many things were going wrong in his life, and exercised excessivley, had weird drerams and thought people on the television were talking to him. He was diagnosed in 1999. We have only been together for 3 years.
Ok, I think I have the picture. now how can I be of help to you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would like some deas of how to cope, when i am trying to communicate with him. I seem to have tried all sorts of approaches, it doesnt seem to matter if I stay calm, shout and scream or cry he manages to turn it around to it being my fault, and that I should be apologising to him. He seems to think he can call me names, break my belongings, hurt me (on 1 occasion) yet if I do anything in return I am an evil b**ch!
I am starting to question myself and wonder if it is me that starts the argments. He regulary leaves the family home for days on end after an argument. We have two daughters 2 years and 14 weeks, I worry for thier future and his ability to be stable parent and partner.
Whether or not he is narcissistic is not important (I can give technical reason, or just trust me). I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX you are the cause of all his problems. It is the nature of his illness to blame you and be hypersensitive to whatever approach you try. I am concerned for you and your kids as his behavior is getting more out of control. His potential as a stable father and partner is very low. The only suggestion I could make that MIGHT help is if you could be included as part of his treatment so his MD knows how his behavior has gotten worse. He won't tell the truth.
Personally, I don't thing changing you approach will work.
Do what you have to do to take care of you and you daughters. Growing up like this is emotionally dangerous for them.
BE Safe.