Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

My 14 year old daughter was started on Zoloft 50 mg. 1 tab.

Customer Question

My 14 year old daughter was started on Zoloft 50 mg. 1 tab. daily 6 days ago for anxiety and OCD, not so much for depression. Today, day #6 she called from school and stated she was having a small panic attack, she was sweating some and felt dizzy. I know dizziness can be a normal side effect/also her heart was beating fast per my daughter. Can lack of rest and not eating much be a possible
reason and her body still adjusting or should I call her Dr. and see if she can cut the dose in half? She really did not get much rest this weekend as she spent it with a friend. Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

Any concerns, especially about possible side effects should be immediately reported to prescribing physician without hesitation. Sweating and dizziness can be side effects of the medication as is anxiety. Of course physical stressors such as low blood sugar and lack of sleep can set off panic attacks. I am not a physician but am quite informed on psychotropic medications. It is hard to discern what the causes of the symptoms are: side effects or the condition being treated for. That being the case I would recommend that you call the prescribing physician who may want her to come in to evaluate the causes of the symptoms yo have described. The one especially serious side effect that I as a parent would observe for is suicidal ideation (that warning comes with packet insert as a risk factor for children and teens. Remember panic attacks in general are like roller coaster rides-scary but not dangerous. The afflicted party, in this case your daughter, is looking outside herself for strength and reassurance so it is necessary to remain calm and cerebral. I hope this information was of use to you and I wish you the best! I am leaving two links on panic attacks and OCD:

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your information. I knew I should contact her Dr. but wanted to make sure it could possibly have been from her body adjusting. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX: the low blood sugar. That makes a lot of sense to me.

My pleasure to try to be of assistance!

Ralp[h LMHC