Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

I know that I need to talk to someone to release a lot of emotions

I know that I need to talk to someone to release a lot of emotions that I have held inside for a long time. I was abused by a family member as a child and a friend of the family, through sexual, verbal and physical. I lost my Mother in 1997 and she was the only person I felt comfortable talking to. I feel alone and empty inside and sometimes I've thought about dying but I would never physically hurt myself because of my daughter. I've recently divorced after being married for almost 29 years.

Hi Destiny,

Being divorced after 29 years is a huge adjustment, and it is going to take you some time to grieve the loss of that. I can imagine that your pain from childhood might want to piggyback on your divorce adjustment.

If there is anyway you can get into counseling or a divorce adjustment group, I would recommend that. You can also find support in online groups and blogs dealing with loss, depression and recovering from childhood abuse. Google "support for...." and you'll find good sites to examine.

If your feelings of depression deepen, I would talk to your doctor about being evaluated for depression medication. If you're already on some of that, I would talk to them about the symptoms you're having so that an adjustment can be evaluated.

Hang in there and be gentle in your period of adjustment to your new life.