Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

My son is 16 years old and found out that he can not relate

My son is 16 years old and found out that he can not relate to his classmates. He preferred be alone and does not want to be with people. I am worried when he told me that he is never happy. Is there anything wrong with his mental health?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Does he show other signs of depression, appetite change, sleep change, lack of interest, sadness, etc?

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is lack of interest, sadness although bright at school. He seems to be very sad. He does not like to do activities, sports, etc. He said he felt lonely since he was 8 years old.

He sounds as if he is profoundly depressed, although it is difficult to say with the small amount of information available. I would recommend a thorough physical with blood work to rule out any underlying organic condition like hypothyroid,etc. Assuming all physical reports come back to within normal limits, I would then recommend that he be evaluated by a child psychiatrist for the appropriate course of treatment which may include medication and psychotherapy., Many people do not realize that children can suffer from depression and how devastating it can be. You have good reason to be optimistic that with the appropriate treatment his mood may improve dramatically and he can live a fulfilling enriched life. He is lucky to have a parent who is both observant and concerned and strong family resources are an important part of treatment with children.

I have left a link on childhood depression: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/depression-in-children-and-adolescents.shtml

I hope that you have found this information useful and I wish you the best!

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Did our posts cross in the mail? If there is any further information I can provide do not hesitate in asking.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC