Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Ihave been on antipsychotics for about 20 years.I have hypertension

Ihave been on antipsychotics for about 20 years.I have hypertension and anxity,
not so much feelings of suside or depression.
Iwas on paxil for most of that time. Now i am on Celexa my anixty level is a little higher and I have no sexual desire at all. is their a drug I can switch to that will only help with my anxity and hypertension and with out any of the side afects I am having
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, first of all, the drugs such as paxil and celexa are not anti psychotics but are anti depressants , which work well in anxiety and depression treatment , but they do effect one's libido ( that is decreased sex drive / desire ) as a side effect , so the remedy for treating your anxiety and depression , without causing side effects like hypertension and decreased libido is to start on a combination of two drugs ...which are -- Wellbutrin/ zyban ( bupropion ) which will take care of your depression and Klonopin or ativan which will take care of your anxiety , and both wellbutrin and klonopin or ativan do not cause sexual side effects and hypertension.

However, your hypertension could also be age related and lifestyle related , so this needs to be properly evaluated and controlled by your physician by use of anti hypertensive drugs..

So, kindly see the link...

So, kindly discuss this with your doctor and get started on the drugs mentioned above and i am quite sure that this will relieve your anxiety and depression without any side effects.

I hop this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.